Sunday, January 29, 2012

Burlap Pillow

I had casually mentioned to hubs that I wanted to use my burlap to make a pillow.  His response was unfavorable.... He said that it would be terrible & very uncomfortable.  I guess he was imagining burlap pillows to nap with on the couch or something.  That was not what I had in mind.  I wanted something "pretty" not "functional"!  I'm glad his reaction didn't detour me.  I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

 

I made this the same night I made the Valentine Flags.  I already had the iron, burlap, paint & sewing machine out.  So this was a quick project.  I decided on a rectangle size pillow.  I doubled the intended size & cut out the burlap.  Then I ironed it in half.  I used the fold as one of my sides.  So I only ended up having to sew 3 sides.  Be sure to leave an opening for the fluff.  Then turn it inside out. 


Before stuffing, I inserted a paper towel so the paint wouldn't bleed through.  I used the Vintage White Acrylic to paint "Love" on the burlap. 


When it was mostly dry, I filled it with fluff.  I actually used a "snow" tree skirt that I bought for 75 cents after Christmas.  Then I used a whip stitch to sew up the hole. 


It's the perfect addition to my mismatched sitting room.  I'm slowly pulling it all together.  I just "love" it!!!  I think I'll even keep this out even after Valentines :)

*Miranda




1 comment: