Monday, January 30, 2012

Love is in the air..

Inspired by Miranda's recent projects and also some posts I've seen on my bff, Pinterest, I decided to do a pallet project. I had my wonderful assistant, my hubby, cut some boards from a pallet using a reciprocating saw. I love this method because it allows you to keep the look of the nails in the boards without having a sharp rusty nail sticking out of the back. I wanted to make a larger sign so I decided to steal borrow two pieces of scrap wood from my husband's shed to attach the pallet boards to (it's half mine anyways, right?).



Since the commandeered wood was newer than my pallet wood I decided to paint it black so the new wood would not be obvious through the slats of the pallet wood. I am not much of a tape measure person so I decided to paint and attach first and then cut later. I positioned the pallet boards on the scrap wood until I was happy with the spacing and then using wood glue I lifted each piece one at a time and glued it to the board. I then weighted the wood down with a box of dishes (very professional I know). Please note: I did not take a picture of this as I was a little embarrassed that I was too lazy to go get the clamps... I would suggest using clamps on this step if you have them.




The next morning, I started painting the word "love" on the pallets. I did use a pencil to give myself a rough idea of where the letters should be. I mainly did this so the wording would be fairly even. Please note the bottom of the picture below: I finally went to the shed and got clamps for the bottom piece!




I then painted the wording on my pallet piece and had my lovely assistant (what can I say he is the Vanna White to my Pat Sajak) cut the excess wood from the top and bottom of the sign. I decided due to my fear of the glue not holding and flashes in my mind of the destruction that would follow to use screws to secure the pallet wood in addition to the wood glue. I also added wall hangers to the back for easy hanging.



Then I showed it to my daughter, Madi, who either thought it was the most amazing thing she has ever seen or the scariest thing she has ever seen. I'm not completely sure which one this face means so I decided to think it was because of how awesome it is.


After receiving Madi's stamp of approval, I hung my latest project on the wall. I am very happy with the end product. It was relatively simple and aside from the time it took for the glue to dry was fairly quick.I am also in the final stages of another project that I cannot wait to share with everyone. I am hoping to have it completed by this weekend. I hope everyone enjoys!




No comments:

Post a Comment