Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Bed to Bench

I have been seeing these super cute benches made out of a bed, using the headboard as the back, and the footboard as the sides. 

Karen and I went to the Habitat ReStore two Saturdays ago to pick up some cabinet doors to make into chalkboards.  You can find that post here.  While we were there we stumbled into this twin headboard and footboard for $15.  I immediately thought of the bench, and we snatched it up.

We began work on it the following day.  First, let me explain how this arrangement works.  Anyone ever watched the show "The Picker Sisters"? Well...Karen, Ryan, and I sorta have that arrangement going on LOL...we are the "pickers" and come up with the ideas, and Ryan is the carpenter, who brings our ideas to life.  Now, granted we don't take it as far as the Picker Sisters...cause once they "pick" it, they don't have anything else to do with it until it pops up finished in their shop.  Karen and I typically finish out the piece after Ryan builds it...like painting, distressing, etc.

First, Ryan cut the footboard in half, and attached it to the headboard.

Then, he built a frame on the inside to set the hardwood flooring on. 

That was all for Sunday.  Wednesday, I came over, and we started painting.  I used Rustoleum spray paint that offers 2x coverage in one coat.



Pictured below is the piece painted, but before the distressing.  We were seriously distressing in the dark.  I was doing the distressing, and Karen was holding a spotlight on me so I could see.  So, needless to say, we didn't get any pictures of the distressing process.  We used a brown glaze to distress it.




Ryan spent Thursday afternoon cutting and placing the hardwood flooring.  We lucked out on the flooring.  Ryan had helped a friend of his replace a floor in his parent's house.  They gave Ryan the hardwood flooring that he had pulled up for free, so we have no cost in that, and it gives it a great finished and polished look!

Here you can see our bench pictured in our booth in the Old Feed Store & Antique Mall.  We had it priced for $100, and it has already sold...Thanks Brittany (:


- Lindsay (:

1 comment: