Monday, June 18, 2012

DIY Coasters

I had recently broken several of my coasters, so I decided that I was going to make some new ones that matched my decor.  Let me tell you....these babies were quick and easy AND CHEAP!!!  What's not to love?!?!
First, I bought 6 tiles from Lowe's.  They are very cheap.

I also bought some felt pads (normally used to put on the bottom of furniture) to put on the bottom of the tiles so that they don't scratch my furniture and slide easily.



Next, I cut scrapbook paper just a tad smaller than the tiles, so they would have a slight border.

Here you can see my paper is cut, and ready to be attached to the tiles.

I used Modge-Podge to adhere the scrapbook paper to the tiles.  This also seals it so when my drink sweats, it won't damage the coaster.

And this is the finished product.  I absolutely love them!


- Lindsay :)

5 comments:

  1. I love these! They would make great gifts, too! I'm going to pin this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...thanks Jennie! I absolutely love them! And I'm serious...they only took like 10 minutes to make! Super easy & cheap gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year, my nieces gave me a set they made and I just loved them. There is only one left though, because they adhered to the bottom of the glasses and fell off and broke, when the glass was lifted for drinking. Do you have a suggestion for a finish (maybe to put over the Mod- Podge) so the coasters won't stick to the drinking glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hay I was looking at this and love the idea..just one question..After you modge podge the paper on..do you put the modge podge over it to seal it? I'm kinda cofused.. cut if you put a wet glass on it without sealing it..it would ruin the paper.... .If you could help me out with that it would be great...I cannot wait to make these!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you use the modge podge to adhere to paper to the tiles and then put a coat of modge podge over the paper to seal it. So when the drink sweats, it won't ruin your paper...and your drinks will not stick to it either. Hope this helps! Happy crafting! :)

    ReplyDelete